Thursday, April 26, 2012

Living with Chickens

One day, about 2003ish, my husband comes home and tells me that we're going to raise chickens.  I said sure we are.  A few weeks later in the mail comes this chicken book.  The book is called, " Living with Chickens: Everything You Need to Know to Raise Your Own Backyard Flock".  So, I'm looking at this book and thinking that he's playing one good joke on me.  But why on earth would he get a hard cover book to pull a prank.  It was a real nice looking book with lots of pictures and very easy to follow.

I breeze through the book, put it aside and forget about it and the talk of chickens.

Now it's sometime in the Spring.  The air is getting warm, the nights are pleasantly crisp and we get to start enjoying our backyard.  My husband comes home, let's just call him Farmer Ken, and tells me that we have to start getting a chicken coop ready.  Why?  I ask.  He says because we're getting an already full grown flock of chickens, rooster too!  NOW I believe him!

That weekend I watch as Farmer Ken enlists his friend Dane and they move an old shed to the back of the yard.  Now I really believe him.  After a few alterations to the shed, ie roosting bars (basically broom handles); Nesting boxes 9 to be exact; a recycled window; a small door unto which the future chickens can exit and enter their new home and lastly a fence with a nice size yard to it.

After the preparation is done, Farmer Ken shows up with these chickens, at 8:30 at night!  You see, when you move them to a new 'home' it has to be done at dark.  That way, they know where to sleep.  I'm not kidding.  Well, 16 beautiful chickens arrived and one very healthy, large, red rooster. 

This is the book that Farmer Ken brought home

 
and you too can still get this book.  It's available at Amazon for a mere $11.00!

Stay tuned, more to come.

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog via Pinterest! Looking forward to hearing more about your chickens. :)

    ReplyDelete